This salsa verde is ideal over tacos, but it has many uses like enchiladas verdes, chilaquiles, pork in salsa verde, and chicken tamales in green sauce, just to mention some.
The amount of peppers could be reduced or increased to your liking.
MAKES ABOUT 2 CUPS
- 6 tomatillos, husked and washed. About 2 cups.
- 3 tablespoon of chopped onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 or 3 serranos peppers (if using Jalapeño peppers use 1)
- Salt to taste
- About 3 cups of water to cook the tomatoes and peppers.
1. In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the pepper and tomatillos, simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes.
2. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup water of the liquid.
3. In a blender, puree the peppers, tomatillos, garlic and chopped onion, then add the reserved liquid if needed to get a saucier texture.
4. Transfer to a bowl and add salt to taste.