As a food blogger I have a lot of pictures stored in my external hard drive waiting to be published. Like these pictures, they have been sleeping there for more than 2 years. I went in search of them after reading an article in CHOWHOUND about how cooking beef tongue is becoming a trend among Chefs in upscale restaurants across America. I decided it was about time to get them out before this humble low cost delicacy that is usually eaten in a taco in so many places of my country becomes a forbidden fruit. I mean in case this trend picks up and the price goes up. In Mexico we also serve them in stews, where the cooked meat is sliced and then slowly simmered with different types of sauces. But that is another story. This recipe is super easy, no rocket science here.
This recipe is using the Crock pot; it is a good idea to do it overnight and have your barbacoa ready for breakfast, specially Sunday like we do in northern Mexico. If you do not have a crock pot, cook in a large pot in your stove for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. This will depend also in the size of the beef tongue. A faster way will be using the pressure cooker and cook for 30 minutes after the valve starts whistling.
If you have never tried Beef tongue, this is the easy way to go. The texture is soft that almost melts in your mouth. The leftovers if any, are great for sandwiches, flautas, scramble with eggs, etc. It also freezes well.
Serves 4 servings per pound, a medium size beef tongue is about 2-21/2 pounds
- 1 beef tongue
- 1/4 of medium size onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt to taste
- Water (enough to cover the beef tongue)
- To serve: warm corn tortillas, 1 cup of chopped cilantro, 1 cup of chopped white onion and salsa of your choice.
NOTE: When buying the meat make sure it is coming from a trusted source. Since not a lot people buy this type of cut very often, chances are you will find it frozen. I am lucky to have a Grass Fed source and the quality can’t compare to the one found at regular supermarkets from my personal experience. Beef tongue is still very affordable; buy it in a place that you trust for their quality.
1. Rinse the beef tongue with water and place in your crock pot, add onion, garlic, salt and water. Cover and set the crockpot in low for 8 hours. Cook until tender. If after 8 hours the meat is not tender enough to shred cook a little bit longer. Not all Crockpots work alike.
2. Remove the Beef tongue from the crock pot and place in a large dish, remove skin using a knife to make a cut at first and discard. Trim off any fatty tissue at the bottom end. As you can see from the pictures above it is mostly meat.
3. Shred the meat using 2 forks and place in a serving bowl with some of the cooking broth that has already been degrease and strained.
The way we serve it at home is buffet style with the tortillas,chopped onion, cilantro, salsa, some lime wedges and salt. Everyone prepares their own tacos.