- Share with your social networks, it takes 5 seconds.
- Who doesn’t like to have dessert? And what about one that is easy to make ahead of time and your family will love.
If you do, this is an easy dessert to prepare, as easy as opening some cans and cracking some eggs. This is not the Classic way of making the Flan Napolitano, which is prepared as a custard where milk, vanilla and sugar are first boiled. This is the mainstream, word of mouth well known recipe in México using canned milks. Flan, also known as Flan Napolitano, is a popular dessert in several countries in Latin America and the Caribbean.
This was my teenager son’s first time making this dessert. He has been asking me to make it since a couple of days when I told him that it was so easy to make it that he could make it himself. He couldn’t believe how quickly the flan was already in the oven a few minutes later.
Ingredients for 8 servings
1 can of condense milk*
1 can of evaporate milk**
1 (8oz) pkg. of cream cheese (optional, see note)
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 cup of sugar
2 tablespoons of water
The Evaporated milk has 12 Fluid ounces equals 1 1/2 cups. (354ml)
Sweetened condensed milk according to the can is measured by weight at 14 OZ/397grams, about 300 ml., this will be about 1 1/4 cup.
I do not always have the cream cheese at home and prepare the recipe just omitting the cheese. The flan still come out delicious.
1. In a medium size sauce pan place the sugar and water, bring to a boil in a high heat until sugar dissolves, when sugar dissolves reduce heat and keep boiling until the syrup gets a light brown-caramel color. This will take about 10 minutes. Pour the caramel in your oven proof pan, swirling the caramel to cover the bottom of the pan evenly. Let cool.
2. Place the rest of the ingredients in a blender and process until you have a smooth mixture.
3. Pour mixture slowly into prepare pan and cover with aluminum foil. For the hot bath. Place the pan inside a large baking pan. Add warm water to the pan until it reaches about 3/4 inch. Bake in a preheated oven at 325 degrees for about 50 minutes or until flan looks firm as in the picture below. Flan will keep cooking while it cools, so do not let longer in the oven. Let it cool.4. Once the flan has cooled run, a knife between the flan and baking pan. Place a large serving plate in top of the pan and invert with a quick move to avoid any liquid caramel to spill from the pan. Slice, serve and enjoy.
In the picture above the flan includes cream cheese in the mixture, the texture is creamier that the one in the top picture that does not include the cheese. Anyway you make it, it’s delicious. Well, you already know that.
Was this recipe helpful for you?