The other green smoothie? Yes, this could be called the other green shake, juice or smoothie (except that it has been consumed for years way before the green smoothie craze started here in the states). This drink, made with Nopales and fruits like pineapple and orange juice, has been around for years in Mexico. The Healthy and Medicinal benefits have been exalted by doctors and regular human beings like us that swear by the advantages your whole body will obtain just by drinking this refreshing drink every morning. Some people will drink it to treat their diabetes, others for gastrointestinal illnesses. I just drink it to add more fiber to my diet once in a while when fresh nopales are available at my local Latin Market.
I have posted recipes using Nopales before, and some of its history and benefits can be found in these links:How to cook Nopales, Grilled Nopales, Nopales Salad and Nopales with Chorizo.
And here, the EASY-to-make recipe for the Nopal Smoothie:
Nopal Smoothie/Licuado de Nopales
- 1 medium sized fresh nopal pad, needles removed
- 1 slice of fresh pineapple
- 1 cup of fresh orange juice or water
- A sprig of parsley and ice cubes (optional)
1. Chop the nopal in small pieces, making sure there aren’t any needles left on the skin.
2. Chop the pineapple slice in cubes
3. Place all ingredients in a blender; process until smooth, and... voilà!
See? I told you it was easy! Enjoy and make your own mixes and come back to let me know about them to try at home.
Don't forget to share on your social channels!