This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. & its advertiser. Any opinions are 100% mine.
This recipe is very well known in many Mexican homes, and is great for those times when you don’t have a minute to waste. This is my go-to meal that I make for my husband when he wants something quick to eat. The main ingredients for this sandwich are the canned tuna and the Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce from “La Morena”, which are readily available at your local Wal-Mart, in the Latin Food Section.
Did you know that the Chipotle peppers found in Adobo sauce were once fresh green jalapeños? There are several varieties of jalapeños used for this purpose, including Cuaresmeño, Morita, and Mora, but the most common one is the Cuaresmeño. Once the Jalapeños mature and turn from green to red, they are smoked and cooked with several spices that give them their distinct aroma and flavor. The word “Chipotle” comes from the Nahuatl “Chipoctli”, which means “smoked pepper”. That tells you how old this technique is! Unfortunately, the practice of smoking the peppers is being used less nowadays, and being substituted by chemicals. The Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce from La Morena are still made using the old artisanal methods, and with natural ingredients. This ensures that they have the best quality and unmatched attributes.
MAKES 2 SANDWICHES
- 1 (10 ounces) can of tuna
- 3 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 Chipotle pepper in adobo “La Morena”, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Adobo sauce from the Chipotles.
- 4 Slices sandwich bread
- Salt and pepper to taste
The same ingredients used in this recipe can be used to make a quick dip: just add 1/2 cup of cream cheese while mixing the ingredients and serve with crackers. #VivaLaMorena #CollectiveBias
DIRECTIONS: 1. After you open the can of tuna, drain the contents using a strainer. Transfer tuna to a medium size bowl and break pieces apart with a fork.
2. Add mayonnaise, minced chipotle pepper, and adobo sauce and start mixing. Stir in the chopped onions and combine with the tuna mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Heat skillet or grilled pan over medium heat. Place the sandwiches on the skillet and cook until golden brown, about 4 –5 minutes per side. Serve with potato chips or cucumber slices. You can serve more Chipotles on the side in case you want to add more to your sandwich.