Some might say that this is not a “traditional” Mexican recipe, but it is one that has been in our culture for so long that many believe it to be traditional. Why, you may ask? Because it is a long-time favorite among Mexicans for family reunions, children’s parties, picnics, and even beach days. Here at home, it is also one of my son’s favorite dishes; ever since he was a small school kid, he loved to come home from school and have this for lunch, and often requested it for his birthdays. It is eaten with saltine crackers or in sandwiches, and, as you can see here, served alongside a creamy macaroni salad with American Cheese. As mentioned before, chicken salad is extremely popular at children’s birthday parties, since the hostess (Mom) can prepare it ahead of time, and still be able to enjoy the party. If you have a Pinterest account, please pin the recipe. The Mexican twist to a classic salad.
This chicken salad recipe is a Mexican adaption of the famous Russian salad, but with chicken added (chicken is the main ingredient in this salad). The salad has some of the same ingredients as the Eastern European version, but the Mexican version has several variations, that include ingredients like red peppers or corn. I like to add celery and apple to mine.
- 16 oz chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 8 oz carrots, cooked and diced
- 14 oz potato, cooked and diced
- 5 oz celery, finely chopped
- 6 oz canned sweet peas, drained
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 1 cup Kraft Mayo
- 1 parsley spring to garnish
- Saltine crackers
- Pickled jalapeños and carrot slices
- 16 oz elbow pasta, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 cup of sour cream or Mexican cream
- 1 package of American or sharp cheddar Cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
*Some recipes also add diced cooked ham to the macaroni salad.
1. Place the cooked and shredded chicken, potatoes, carrots, celery, sweet peas and apple into a large bowl.
2. Mix gently and stir in the Kraft mayo (carefully, to avoid breaking or mashing the cooked vegetables).
3. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for about 4 hours to allow the flavors to blend. Believe me, it is worth the wait, as it will definitely taste better.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE MACARONI SALAD
1. Dice the Kraft Natural Cheese into small cubes, and make sure the cooked macaroni is cool, otherwise, it will melt the cheese.
2. Mix in the Mexican cream or sour cream. Stir and gently add the Kraft Natural Cheese, making sure it is well mixed. As mentioned above, some recipes also add diced cooked ham (if you choose to do so, add it along with the cheese). Season with salt and pepper. Stir and refrigerate until cool to serve alongside the Mexican Chicken Salad.
To serve, provide some saltine crackers, and for the adults, add pickled jalapenos & carrot slices.
This is one of our family’s favorite dishes for parties and special occasions. Leave a comment, I would love to hear about your family’s favorite party meals!