Corn is an essential and important ingredient in the Mexican Gastronomy. We use it to make drinks, tortillas, soups, breads, cakes, snacks, and an endless number of main dishes using corn as their main ingredient. But this recipe is a simple way to eat corn, after just few minutes you will have a healthy and delicious snack that everyone will enjoy. In Mexico, it is a popular treat sold as a street snack by sellers that push wooden carts that park outside government buildings, public schools, states fairs, local beaches, Sports stadiums, town plazas, commercial centers, constructions sites or any other place where people gather. Everybody loves them, smeared all over with the salty cheese, creamy mayo mix, spicy ground pepper or the sour taste of lime juice.
- 4 Corn ears with the husk still on them.
- Add water as needed
- 2 teaspoon salt, for water.
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Mexican cream or sour cream
- 1 lime
- 1/2 cup Cotija cheese*
- 1 teaspoon ground piquin pepper, chili powder or cayenne pepper powder
- salt to taste
If you can’t find cotija cheese, parmesan cheese can be used.
- Cooking time will depend of the type of corn you can find where you live.
1. Fill a large saucepan or pot with water and add the 2 teaspoon of salt. Mix and turn heat to medium high. Just make sure it is big enough for all your corn to fit properly. My pot only fits 3.
2. Cut the ends of the corn and remove some of the outer husk, leave the rest of the husk on the corn, the husk gives them some extra flavor, and this is the way they are cooked in Mexico.
3. Once the water is boiling, place the corn in the pot to cook.
4. Lower the heat to medium and cover the pot with the lid. After 5 minutes (see notes above) check the corn for doneness. If they are tender remove from pot and pull out the husks the hot corn, carefully.5. To serve, spread cream and mayo, or mix them before spreading, add a few drops of lime juice, sprinkle with cheese, chili powder and salt to taste. Enjoy!