This dish is one of the best creations of Mexican street food. Why? Because it’s delicious, simple to make, easy to carry, and uses the fruits that are in season. On top of that, the healthy portion of fruit is meant to supercharge you with energy. And with a name like “Bionico” (“bionic”), it better! “Bionicos” are a form of fruit cocktail originally made in Guadalajara with chopped fruits and then bathed in a sweet cream mixture and topped off with granola, pecans, raisins, and shredded coconut.
“Bionicos were first invented by a street vendor in the city of Guadalajara in Jalisco, Mexico in the early 1990s. It was originally intended to be a healthy breakfast item. The popularity of the dessert quickly spread and it is now served in many parts of Mexico and even some parts of the United States. Bionicos are primarily served by street vendors and juice bars.” 
Fruits like papaya, strawberries, cantaloupe, apples, and bananas are the most commonly used in Bionicos, but these change depending on the season and what is currently available. Yes, you can make a different version of this snack for every season of the year! You can use a mix of berries for a spring cocktail, mangoes, peaches, and plums for a summer version, and apples, pears, and figs for the Fall and Winter seasons.
Mexican street food is a culture on its own, and contrary to what many outsiders might think about street food in general, Mexican street food has many healthy options (not all you find are tacos and sandwiches). We Mexicans love our Aguas Frescas, fruit cocktails, ice pops, shaved ice, fresh corn (either roasted, grilled or steamed), baked fruits, and even vegetables salads.
- 1 cup strawberries, diced
- 1 cup of cantaloupe, diced
- 1 cup papaya, diced
- 1 cup pineapple, diced
- 1/3 cup mexican cream or sour cream
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup plain granola
- Honey (Optional)
- The great thing about this fruit cocktail is that you can use your own choice of seasonal fruits.
- There are several versions of the cream used to drench the fruit. Some use only yogurt and honey, and others even substitute the cream for cottage cheese drizzled with honey.
1. Gently mix the diced fruit in a medium size bowl and set aside or place in the refrigerator to keep it cool.
2. In a small bowl, mix the cream, yogurt, and condensed milk.
3. Stir in the vanilla flavoring, and mix well.
4. Add 2 tablespoons of the creamy mix to the bottom of 4 cups or dessert bowls. Divide the fruit into the cups. Just before serving, pour 2 tablespoons of the cream mixture over each fruit cup and garnish with the chopped pecans, granola, raisins and shredded coconut. If you prefer, you can let everyone garnish their fruit cup to their liking. If you want to add a little more sweetness, then you can drizzle some honey on top.
I love the convenience of this deli cups with a lid, that way you can carry them with you to work, or even to a picnic after a walk in the park!
If you find this valuable, please repin!
 Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bionico