Salpicón is an easy shredded beef salad that doesn’t require too many skills in the kitchen, and includes some of the most common components of a salad like: lettuce, tomato, onion, and a dressing. This salad can also be prepared some hours ahead of time, and served either as a whole meal or as an entry for picnics or parties. It is a very practical dish for those hot summer days when you don’t want to spend a great deal of time in the kitchen… just make sure you cook the meat the night before in your crock pot or pressure cooker; the next day, shred the meat and reserve for later use.
There are several dishes with the name salpicón in México, and most of the time, it is a preparation where the meat is shredded or finely chopped. The meat can be either deer or fish in the south, or beef and rabbit in other regions of the country. Sometimes the name is modified with the type of meat used, e.g.: crab salpicon.
TO COOK THE MEAT:
- 1 1/2 pound of skirt steak or eye round roast, cut in large cubes
- 1/2 medium white onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt to season
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar*
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
FOR THE SALAD:
- 3 cups romaine lettuce, finely sliced
- 1/4 white onion, sliced in rings
- 4 radishes, finely sliced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 8 pimiento-stuffed Spanish olives, sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 12 corn tostadas
- Pickled carrots and jalapeño peppers
* Traditionally, distilled white vinegar is used, but I like the flavor of sherry jerez vinegar in this salad.
* I like to serve this salad with a cup of the beef broth. If you want to do the same: after removing the cooked meat from the broth, add a small branch of thyme, and let it simmer for another 15 minutes. *Serve garnished with chopped cilantro, onion, and serrano peppers.
1. Place meat, onion, garlic, and bay leaf in a stock pot; cover with water and cook in a medium high heat. When it starts boiling, reduce heat and simmer until meat is tender and can be easily shredded with a fork (about 2 1/2 hours). You can also cook the meat in your slow-cooker in the high setting for about 6 hours. If you’re cooking it in a pressure cooker, cook for 45 minutes.
2. While the meat is cooking, mix the oil and vinegar in a small bowl. Crush the oregano with your fingers, add it to the dressing, and season with salt and pepper. Reserve for serving time.
3. Transfer meat to a bowl to cool. Once cooled enough to handle, shred the beef using 2 forks, and season with salt.
4. Place shredded beef in a large bowl and gently toss in the lettuce, onion, radishes, tomatoes and olives.
5. Transfer the salad to a large serving plate, if you wish. Garnish with the avocado slices and drizzle with the dressing. Serve with corn tostadas and enjoy!
My family loves this salad so much that, every time I make it, there are no leftovers. I hope that your family will enjoy it as much as we do!