This is a simple, easy, and very versatile dish; you can add all of those vegetables in you fridge or basket and have a superb, comforting soup. The Mexican Vegetable soup is traditionally made with carrots, potatoes, zucchini, chayotes and spinach, with a chicken broth and a tomato sauce that combines all those flavors into one. This recipe welcomes the addition of sweet corn or sweet peas, which children love. My son likes to add grated cheese to his bowl of soup, and my husband likes a little quirt of lime juice in his. I am using Swanson chicken stock for this soup, it is one of those items I like to have handy in case I run out of homemade chicken broth. Some cooks will only use water instead of chicken stock, or water with Knorr granulated bullion, which is very popular with Mexican home cooks.
This soup recipe gives me the opportunity to share something very dear to me with you, and that is giving back and helping others. My family and I love to volunteer and serve our community, and our local Safeway (together with other Safeway/Albertson's stores) is running a campaign called "Hunger Is" during the month of September. The purpose of the Hunger Is campaign is to raise awareness, volunteer hours, and funds to help improve the health outcomes for hungry children and their families. You would think that hunger doesn't occur here in the US, but you might be surprised to know that one in five children in America live without consistent access to adequate food.
There are two ways that you can participate in the Hunger Is campaign. One is by purchasing at your local Albertson's or Safeway store products from the following brands: Unilever, Campbell's, ConAgra, Marie Callender's, Healthy Choice, Bertolli's, PF Chang's, Coca Cola, and Kellogg's. Each participating product earns a meal. The second option is at the register, where cashiers will ask you if you would like to donate to the Hunger Is fundraiser. So, while you do your regular grocery shopping this month, check out those items that belong to the participating brands, chances are you already buy some of them on a regular basis.
MAKES 4 SERVINGS
- 1 Large tomato, chopped
- ¼ cup white onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¾ cup carrots, diced
- ¾ cup zucchini, diced
- ¾ cup green beans, chopped
- 1 cup of potato, cubed
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 Parsley branch*
- Salt and peppers to taste
NOTES:You can substitute parsley and use cilantro or mint.
- Place the chopped tomato, onion and garlic into your blender and process until you have a smooth sauce. (I used my mortar, since my blender is already packaged for our move.)
- Heat the oil in a medium size pot at medium heat. Add the tomato sauce and diced carrots. Cook for 5 minutes.
3. After the 5 minutes, add cubed potatoes, diced zucchini, chopped green beans, and chicken stock. Turn heat to medium high and cook for about 6 minutes or until it starts boiling. Once it starts boiling, reduce heat to low, add the parsley branch, and cover. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes until all the vegetables are cooked. Season it with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm in bowls with some warm tortillas or a piece of bread.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Albertsons Safeway . The opinions and text are all mine.