This quick recipe for Tacos de Alambre can be prepared over the stove or on your grill using a heavy skillet. Top Sirloin mixed with bacon, onion, green and red bell peppers, all topped with melted cheese make such a perfect combination that there is no way you’re not going to like these tacos. The best part is that you can adapt the recipe to your personal choice of meat; some people use chicken or even shrimp to make these tacos, and the results are still absolutely delicious.
The name “tacos de alambre” is given because the ingredients are almost the same as the ones we use to cook our Beef kabobs (Alambres), just that instead of making them using the skewers, we cook them on a skillet. These tacos are popular in Mexico City and central states of the country.
To prepare them today (and just for the fun of testing), I decided to make these tacos on my new LE CREUSET sizzle platter over our charcoal grill. Oh, boy! They were cooked in a matter of a few minutes! However, you can cook these tacos on your stove as well. And guess what? LE CREUSET is offering one of these beautiful sizzle platters as a gift to one lucky reader of Mexico in my Kitchen! That way you can prepare this same dish or any of your personal recipes on it. Read instructions bellow to enter.
- 1 pound Top Sirloin steak, cut into ½ inch cubes
- Salt and pepper
- ½ Lime
- 6 oz. of bacon, cut in ½-in pieces (6 slices)
- 1-¼ cup white onion, chopped (about ½ medium size onion)
- 1-¼ cup red and green peppers, chopped. *
- 6 oz. Oaxaca or Muenster cheese.**
- 12 medium size corn tortillas or 8 medium size flour tortillas
To serve, use a spicy salsa of your choice, like greenavocado tomatillo salsa or red taqueria salsa.
- * They are usually made with green bell pepper only.
- **If you have a hard time finding Oaxaca or Muenster cheese, use any other type of melting cheese. Muenster is my first choice of cheese to substitute the Oaxaca cheese when I can’t find it, but you can use Mozzarella or Monterrey Jack.
1. Place chopped meat in a bowl. Squeeze the lime juice over the meat and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Place skillet over medium high heat. Once the skillet is really hot, start cooking the bacon. Cook for about 4 minutes, or until the bacon has started to release its fat and turning light brown around the edges. At this point, you can remove some of the fat if you want.
3. Add the steak to the skillet with the bacon and cook, about 6 minutes. Now, stir in the chopped onion and peppers. Keep cooking for about 3-4 minutes. Cook longer if you like the onion and peppers more tenderly cooked.
4. Finally, place the cheese all over the meat and wait until it starts melting. Remove skillet from heat and place a lid. Warm the tortillas and serve in tacos.
THIS GIVEAWAY IS CLOSED.
To enter the giveaway for one LE CREUSET Sizzle Platter, please leave a comment mentioning the dish you would love to cook using this platter. And you can choose your favorite color. The winner will be announced on Wednesday 11th on our Facebook page. And please, share with your Facebook friends this post!
Superior heat retention capabilities, Versatile flat surface is perfect for searing meat, fish and veggies, Size: 12 ¼”, Color assortment: Soleil, Flame, Palm, Caribbean, Marseille & Cherry, Regular Price: $ 140.00
WINNER IS ENTRY # 10 ARQUEROBUENO