This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and Kroger. All opinions are mine alone. #RecetasParaMomentos #CollectiveBias
For a food lover like me, going grocery shopping is like taking a kid to the toy store. Just looking at all the produce offerings gives me ideas for my weekly menu planning. I take advantage of the produce in season, as well as the store’s coupon and sales promotions. That’s why I love recipes that implement ingredients that are affordable and in season, like this quick and budget-friendly recipe for Canned Tuna Ceviche Tostadas. It’s perfect for these hot days when we don’t feel like spending a lot of time near the stove, and instead enjoy spending valuable moments with our loved ones.
There are many recipes for ceviche, (also spelled cebiche), some of which use fish, shrimp, or a combination of seafood. There is even a jicama ceviche! But, this time I decided to prepare the canned tuna version after a visit to my local Kroger supermarket.
I live very close to a Kroger store; it just takes me a 15-minute walk to get there. It’s nice to see that they think about their Latin customers, too, as I’ve found some of my favorite Mexican groceries at their store, and they even sell Mexican rolls to make sandwiches in the bakery section! I’m new to the area, and so far this has been a great discovery for me. They always have sales and low prices on all your cooking and family party needs. Most importantly, the people that work there are very friendly and helpful, especially the cashiers, since I always forget my bonus card!
- ½ Cup chopped tomato or cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 serrano pepper*, finely chopped
- 1 lime
- 1 Can Kroger Chunk light tuna in water (12 oz)
- ½ avocado
- 4 corn tostadas
- Salt and pepper
- A drizzle of olive oil (optional)
- * You can add more Serrano pepper if you like spicy food, or substitute for jalapeño or even Habanero pepper.
- **You can also prepare this dish to take to work for lunch, and instead of using corn tostadas use saltine crackers to eat it.
1. Gently mix tomato, onion, Serrano pepper, and cilantro in a medium size bowl. I say gently because if you over mix it, it will become a salsa, and this is more like a salad where you enjoy every bite of the ingredients in your mouth.
2. Drain any excess liquid from the tuna. Carefully, with the help of two forks, stir the tuna into the rest of the ingredients in the bowl. Add the juice of half a lime, and season with salt and pepper.
3. In another bowl, mash the avocado to form a puree, and add a few drops of lime while mashing it. Season with salt and pepper.
4. To form the tostadas, spread a portion of the avocado puree over each tostada and top it with the tuna ceviche. To garnish, you can add a few slices of Serrano pepper. Enjoy!
If you like this recipe, please don't forget to share with your friends and family!