This is a sponsored post, all opinions are my own.
I’m so happy to share with you this “Nachos” recipe using a unique product from one of my favorite and trusted Mexican Brands.
“Nachos” are originally from the city of Piedras Negras, in the State of Coahuila, across the US border from Eagle Pass, Texas, but became more popular in the American side. The story goes that they were created by a local waiter named Ignacio (Nacho) Anaya, who served them to a group of women who were looking for a restaurant to eat, but all local restaurants were closed at that time. Ignacio then created these snacks and offered to the women, and they liked it so much that asked Ignacio what they were called, but Ignacio thought that they were asking him for his name and he replied: “Nacho!”… and that’s how these delicious snacks have been known ever since.
I remember growing up, there was a brand that sold instant refried beans that my mom used to buy and we loved them a lot. Somehow that product disappeared from the market many years ago, but now HERDEZ offers this new product that renders an authentic home-cooked taste with a restaurant-quality in their new Instant Refried Beans pouches.
I do really hope you look for these instant refried beans in your local stores, they are surprising delicious!
- 8 corn tortillas cut in 4*
- 1 cup of vegetable oil for frying the tortillas
- 1 package of New HERDEZ Refried beans**
- 1 ½ cup of water
- 4 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- I use yellow corn store bought tortillas, they are usually thinner and do not need to let dry before frying to get a crispy end result.
- You only need ½ the package of Herdez Instant refried beans. About ¾ cup of refried beans.
- The advantage of using the Herdez instant refried beans are that they are convenient, since they are ready in 5 minutes in your stop top, with a restaurant quality. They have the tradition flavor and also Jalapeño, Chorizo, and Queso flavors.
- Plus, don’t forget, beans are gluten free!
1. Place on top of the oven racks on the lower shelf and preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
2. To prepare the Herdez refried beans, bring 1 ½ cup of water to a boil, on a 1 to 2 qt. pot or frying pan, once the water is boiling, stir in the pouch contents. Cover and simmer on a low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove from heat, uncover, stir, and let sit 5 minutes before serving. I prefer a creamy texture and add a couple of tablespoon of extra hot water to obtain that kind of consistency. Set aside while you fry the tortillas.
4. Before you start frying the tortillas, cover a large plate with several paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
5. Heat oil in a skillet over a medium high heat, place several tortilla triangles into the hot oil in a single layer without overcrowding. Keep the oil at the same heat level without overheating or smoking. With the help of kitchen tongs or a slotted spatula, turn the tortillas over once to fry both sides. This process will take about 2 minutes per batch. Make sure they are all crispy and lightly golden before removing from pan.
6. Place the fried tortillas on the prepared plate, and keep frying the rest of the tortillas; making sure the oil is hot enough before placing the next batch.
7. Line a baking sheet with parchment pepper or aluminum foil with a light coat of cooking spray.
8. Spread a small portion of refried beans over each tortilla chip and place on the baking sheet forming a single layer. Sprinkle cheddar cheese and chopped green onions each chip, and top with 1 slice of jalapeño pepper.
9. Place the baking sheet in the oven lower rack and bake for about 5-7 minutes or until cheese begins to melt.
Serve immediately with salsa, cream, and guacamole. Enjoy with your family and friends!
To try the New HERDEZ Instant Refried Beans, check out your local stores. The product is available in the following cities: San Diego, CA, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV, Denver, CO, San Antonio, TX, Houston, TX, and Des Moines, IA
Herdez® is also hosting an overarching giveaway (details below).
Frijoles Con Todo Social Media Sweepstakes (Beans with everything sweepstakes)
To enter for a chance to win a t-shirt. Two (2) t-shirts will be given away each week. Winners will be randomly chosen. Follow on Facebook and Instagram to find out more about it.
Contest Rules: Share Your Frijoles. Breakfast, lunch, or dinner, authentic frijoles are perfect with any meal, anytime. Frijoles con Todo! How do you use frijoles? Share your favorite frijoles photo or video on Instagram and get a chance to win a custom Herdez® T-shirt.
Frijoles con Todo - Beans w/Everything. Breakfast, lunch or dinner. Can be prepared with any meal. Beans can be a side dish or can be used as a part of a recipe
Thank you for visiting, and don't forget to leave a comment about the recipe!
If you are on Pinterest, check our boards with hundreds of delicious ideas I'm pinning for you!