- “Post sponsored by Mirum Shopper. Opinions are 100% my own.” #PruebaElSaborDeKnorr
Squash has been a part of the Mexican gastronomy since Pre-Hispanic times, and ever since then has been planted alongside corn, beans, and peppers. We love to cook it with cream, in stews, soups, with salsa, stuffed, or steamed, like in this recipe. It’s so easy, you can prepare it in only a matter of minutes.
Out of all many types of squash found in Mexico, there are two very popular varieties: Creole squash and Italian squash. Italian squash is found all over Mexico, has a pale green color, and is oblong in shape, measuring 3-6 inches. The Creole squash (or “Calabaza Criolla”) is mostly known in the central states, and has a small, round shape, measuring 2-3 inches in diameter. It also has a pale green color. Both varieties of squash have a very mild and tasty flavor, with very tender skin.
Personally, I find these types of squash to be a little sweeter compared to the dark green zucchini or yellow squashes. If you find these Mexican squash varieties, give them a try, children love their tenderness and mild flavor!
My family really enjoys this quick-to-prepare side dish, and I hope your family does too!
MAKES 4 SERVINGS (AS A SIDE DISH)
- 2 medium size squash or zucchini, cut into 1/3-in slices (about 12 oz.)
- 1 tablespoon of butter or olive oil
- 4 tablespoons of water
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ½ cup of crumbled Mexican queso fresco
- If you can’t find Mexican squash, you can use any other type of tender zucchini.
- Place sliced squash in a medium size frying pan. Add butter and water.
- Turn heat to medium high and steam for 8 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and let it rest for one more minute. Season with salt and pepper. To serve, divide on serving plates and sprinkle with the crumbled cheese. Enjoy!
And don't forget to check the events organized by Knorr® at your local Walmart during the month of August. You can also prepare this delicious recipe for creamy guacamole as a side dish and serve with your main dish, rice, and steamed squash.
Thank you, Knorr® and Mirum Shopper for selecting me one more time as your Brand Ambassador!
Between now and August 31, select Walmarts in Los Angeles, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Phoenix, and Miami will have special in-store events to celebrate the back-to-school season.
Leave a comment and share you experience with the recipe.
If you are on Pinterest, check our boards with hundreds of delicious ideas I'm pinning for you!