Yes, I know. Comfort food has many names and shapes. Yours could be macaroni and cheese or your mother’s famous soup. Mine has a name too: Beef Tostadas; a flat crispy fried corn tortilla with Shredded beef or even with chicken or just plain beans, garnished with lettuce, tomato, onions and fresh cheese without forgetting a good salsa to enhance the flavors.
Antojitos must be one of the most missed dishes for any Mexican living abroad. Tostadas is just one of the many antojitos that can be prepared with different types of toppings, like chicken, beef, seafood, beans and pork feet. Yes, pork feet indeed!
Ingredients for 6 Tostadas
- 6 fried tortillas
- 1 cup of warm refried beans
- 2 cups of cooked and shredded skirt steak or your favorite meat, veggie or seafood
- 3 cups of Shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 medium size tomato, chopped
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 cup of crumbled queso fresco (Feta and Parmesan are a good substitution).
- 1 avocado diced or sliced
- 1/2 cup of Mexican cream or Creme Fraiche
- A good salsa of your choice
|Oven Baked Tostadas vs Fried Tostadas|
For the meat:
You can use leftover meat from a different cut of meat. Shred it or cut in small bite-size pieces. If you are starting from scratch, cook the meat earlier or the day before. I like to cook the meat in the morning and always make enough to freeze and use in other dishes.
The following pictures where my first pictures for this recipe.