- 1-1/2 cups of masa harina (corn flour for tortillas)
- 1-1/2 cups of warm water*
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 piece of plastic to form the tlacoyos
- 3/4 cups of mashed black beans
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil or lard
- 1 cup of green or red salsa.
- 1/2 cup Cotija Cheese or Mexican crumbled cheese
- 1/2 cup white onion finely chopped
5. Place the Tlacoyo in the already hot griddle/comal and cook each side for about 2-3 minutes, depending on the thickness. You can add the oil or lard at this time, or warm the oil/lard in a separate skillet and then slightly fry the Tlacoyos afterwards. It will take about 1-2 minutes to fry each side of the Tlacoyos. Some people deep fry them, but in this case we’re just giving them a slight pan frying.