- 4 quarts of water (1 gallon)
- 1 large piloncillo cone (12 oz) or brown sugar
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 lb Tejocotes*
- 1 1/2 Lb. guavas (about 12 guavas)
- 1 1/2 cup apples, chopped
- 1 cup pear, chopped
- 3/4 cup prunes, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 sugar cane sticks about 5 inch long, cut into four pieces each.
- 1 cup of Tamarind pods, peeled (or 1 cup of Hibiscus Flowers)***
- Rum to taste
1. Place water in a large stockpot.
3. Add the chopped guavas, apples, and prunes along with the rest of the ingredients like the sugar cane sticks, tamarind pods or hibiscus flowers. If you are using the canned version of the tejocotes then add them in this step.
There are foods or drinks that sometimes bring you memories of certain people, places, or moments in time. This punch reminds me of my younger brother, Alberto. What kind of food or dish brings back memories to you?