THIS RECIPE IS SPONSORED BY EL MEXICANO® BRAND ALL OPINIONS ARE MY OWN
Crispy fried corn tortillas… need I say more?
Well, once we add some leftover turkey you will be amazed by how incredibly well these two pair together in these crispy turkey tacos, or as I call them, “flautas”. Can we make them even better? Well, yes! We have some options, like a topping of Cotija Cheese or Queso Fresco (or both!), and a drizzle of Mexican Cream. My younger sister first told me about this way of using turkey leftovers, and now it is also one of my favorites.
But let me tell you something else today, and that is that for all things cheesy and creamy, I like to use El Mexicano® Brand. There are a bunch of things that I like about this brand, but above all, it’s their large selection of Mexican cheeses and creams. They offer a wide array of Mexican cheeses from Quesos Frescos, Oaxaca, Asadero, Quesadilla, Menonita, Fresco Casero, Panela, and more. And guess what? For the following months, I will be teaming up with El Mexicano® brand, which makes me very happy! I will be sharing more recipes with you where you can use their wide variety of products, which by the way goes beyond just creams and cheeses. Just check their website, you will be surprised!
I don’t want to be pushy, guys, but this combination is a winner, so go ahead and get your frying pans ready!
Makes 12 crispy taquitos (Flautas)
- 12 corn tortillas (the thinner the better)
- 2 cups of shredded turkey meat
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- About ¾ cup Vegetable oil
- 1-1/3 cup of mole sauce*
- 1 cup of El Mexicano® Cotija Cheese grated or Queso Fresco Casero®
- 1/2 cup El Mexicano® Crema Mexicana
- El Mexicano® Brand also sells mole paste.
- You can also serve with red onion slices, avocado and pickled carrots.
1. Place the shredded turkey meat into a bowl and season with the garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet at medium-high temperature.
3. While the oil is heating up, warm the tortillas in a hot griddle (just a few seconds) until they become pliable and easy to roll. Cover with a kitchen napkin to keep them warm while you form the taquitos.
4. Add some of the turkey meat into the tortilla; roll tightly and, with the help of kitchen tongs, place into the hot oil. Wait a few seconds before removing the tongs, to be sure the tortilla won’t unfold.
5. Cook each taquito for about 2 minutes per side until golden brown.
6. Once cooked, place on a plate covered with paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
7. Before serving, spoon some of the Mole sauce over the taquitos, drizzle with cream and garnish with El Mexicano® Cotija Cheese and/or Fresco Casero®, I used a mix of the two of them. Add some avocado slices and red onion rings. Enjoy!
Want to try EL MEXICANO BRAND® products? Check them out in the dairy section of your local grocery store or your nearest Latin Store, and to learn more, visit ELMEXICANO.NET
Leave a comment and share you experience with the recipe.