“Cocido”, Caldo de res or “puchero” are some of the names this Beef and vegetable stew is known for in México, which, again, it is another meal we in inherited from Spain. This soup allows so many variations from the most simple broth with 2 or 3 vegetables and some herbs to the finest dish that includes different cuts of meat and a great selection of vegetables, that can be savored as a main dish or as an entrée dish.
Mexican Beef Soup Recipe | Caldo de Res Recipe
Caldo de res, cocido, puchero a Mexican beef and vegetable soup recipe
The vegetables vary depending on what region of México you are visiting. For example, you will find that Yuca will be added in Yucatán, Plantains are common in Tabasco, Garbanzos in most of central México and with a tomato “recaudo” in the Gulf of México. It is usually served with rice and in some regions, the meat and vegetables will be served on a separate plate.
Caldo de res is cooked almost daily at the local market kitchens and also in small family restaurants known for serving "Comidas Corridas". They serve this dish as an entrée or, if you prefer it, as the main dish. Some local markets sell the vegetables already cut and packaged for the cook’s convenience.
How to make Caldo de Res Recipe
- In a large pot place the meat and bones, corn, onion, garlic, and herbs. Add water and bring to boil and then turn heat to low simmering the broth for about 2 hours or until meat is tender. If you are cooking the meat in a pressure cooker cook for 35 minutes. (Please check the ingredients list below)
- If you are adding the tomato sauce. Place the ingredients in your blender with ¼ cup of water and puree.
- Return the broth and meat back to simmering point and add the carrots and chayote; add the potatoes and keep cooking for 10 more minutes. Add the rest of the vegetables and sauce if using, salt to taste and let it simmer until all the vegetables are cooked about 10 more minutes.
Serve in a large bowl and garnish with cilantro.
Mexican Beef Soup
Share on your social networks; it only takes 5 seconds. Thanks! EN ESPAÑOL
What do you like to add to your Beef and Vegetable Soup?
By the way, if you live another option for a Beef and Vegetable Soup, check my friend Colombia friend Erica Beef & Vegetable soup on her blog about Authentic Colombian Recipes.
Mexican Beef Soup
- 2 pounds beef shank bone-in (Some people use beef short ribs and beef chuck cut in large cubes)
- 1 ½ pounds marrow bones
- 4 cloves of garlic unpeeled
- ½ medium-sized white onion cut in 2 pieces
- 2 ears corn cut into 3 or 4 parts
- 1 large chayote peeled and cut into large cubes pit removed
- 2 large carrots peeled and sliced
- ½ pound green beans trimmed and cut in half Optional
- 2 cups of cooked garbanzo beans or 1 can of garbanzo beans drained Optional
- 2 small Mexican squash or zucchini sliced or cubed
- ⅓ head of cabbage cut in large cubes
- 1 large plantain cut in slices optional
- 2 small white potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 sprigs of fresh mint
- 6 sprigs of cilantro
- Enough water to cover the meat and vegetables
- Salt to taste
For the sauce “recaudo”
- 2 medium size tomatoes cut in cubes
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- TO SERVE
- Chopped cilantro
- 1 Lime cut into wedges
- 1 serrano pepper finely chopped Optional. This is a personal preference
- Corn tortillas
Cook the Meat
- In a large soup pot, place the chunks of meat and bones, corn, onion, garlic, and herbs if you prefer to tie the herbs together.
- Add water and boil, then turn the heat to low. After about 20-to 30 minutes, skim the foam and fat off and continue simmering the broth for about 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Remove the garlic, onion, and herbs to leave a clear broth.
Tomato sauce (Recaudo)
- Meanwhile, if you are adding the tomato sauce(Recaudo), place the ingredients in your blender with ¼ cup of water and puree.
- Add the tomato sauce to the broth.
Cook the vegetables and simmer
- Return the broth and meat to a simmering point and add the carrots and chayote; cook for about 15 minutes; add the potatoes and keep cooking for 10 more minutes making sure vegetables are still al dente.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and recaudo if you choose to use it, salt to taste, and let it simmer until all the vegetables are cooked about 10 more minutes.
- It is important to cook the vegetables in stages to avoid overcooking some of them.
- Serve in large bowls and garnish with cilantro. Place on your table along with warm corn tortillas, fresh chopped cilantro, and lemon wedges.
- I cooked the meat in a pressure cooker first for 35 minutes, then removed the meat and skimmed off the broth. You can also use you INSTANT POT.
- If you have the time, cook the meat and broth a day ahead to remove the fat when the broth gets cold.
- Additional spices can be added according to your personal taste like extra garlic, and bay leaves.