This sweet cornbread recipe with corn is not your typical cornbread! My version of cornbread has more of a custard texture rather than bread, but in Mexico, we call it bread. So, I decided to go with cornbread. Even better? You only need four ingredients to make it. Yes, you read that right- only four ingredients!
I recently bought a pound of corn on the cob to grill and make Mexican elote for a family get-together. I accidentally bought too many and didn't want the corn to go to waste. So, I decided to make my version of sweet cornbread with fresh corn kernels!
This recipe is courtesy of Kiwilimón, my friends from a very popular food and recipe website in Mexico, who say that this is one of the most-loved recipes on their site. I’m sure you will love it, too!
Give it a try and come back to tell me what you think. At home, we usually eat the whole bread in less than 24 hours. It's that good!
Plus, whenever I make this sweet cornbread recipe, clean-up is minimal and everything goes into the blender. Do I need to say it's easy to make? I don’t think so.
Frequently Asked Questions About Sweet Mexican Cornbread
Before I share my cornbread recipe, here are a few questions I've been asked and I wanted to answer.
Is Mexican corn sweet?
The corn we use in Mexico is so different from the one you will commonly find in the states at the supermarkets. Our corn is not as sweet and juicy as the one found in the U.S., but it does have a higher content of starch.
That's why when we try to make typical cornbread recipes from Mexico, the results vary. The bread will be dry with a solid texture if using fresh corn kernels from Mexico.
Can I use canned or frozen corn to make this cornbread?
Yes, you can. However, using canned or frozen corn in this recipe will change the texture.
Because fresh Mexican corn has higher starch content, it can make the cornbread come together and bake into a "bread". If you go for precooked corn (like canned or frozen), it will be more like a corn pudding.
Can I use this Mexican cornbread recipe to make traditional cornbread?
Yes! You can add one cup of all-purpose flour to have a more solid bread. If you decide to add the flour, do so at the end of the mixing process.
Easy 4-Ingredient Cornbread Recipe With Corn
Here is a list of ingredients you will need to make this sweet cornbread recipe...
- Fresh corn kernels
- White sugar
- Large eggs
- Melted stick of butter (extra butter to grease the pan)
Don't forget the parchment paper for the baking pan.
Please note: For exact measurements of the ingredients listed above, scroll down to the recipe card located at the bottom of this post!
How To Make Cornbread With Fresh Corn Kernels: Step By Step Tutorial
To make things easier for you, I am going to break down the directions to this recipe into sections.
Prep The Baking Pan
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Grease the baking pan with butter and line it with parchment paper and make sure to grease the paper as well! Set the pan aside.
Make The Cornbread Batter
- Add the fresh corn kernels, sugar, and eggs into a blender. Process for a few seconds to mix everything together.
- Slowly add in the melted butter and process for a few more seconds until the batter is fully blended together.
Bake The Sweet Cornbread And Serve!
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan and place it in the oven.
- Bake the cornbread for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when tested.
- Make sure to let it cool completely before cutting and serving.
What to serve with this Mexican cornbread recipe
Whenever I serve this cornbread, I like to serve it with a dollop of cream or a mixture of cream cheese and cream. So yum!
More Authentic Mexican Recipes To Enjoy
If you enjoyed this cornbread recipe with corn, take a look at some of these other authentic Mexican recipes:
- Fresh Corn Salad With Purslane
- Sweet Cream Of Corn Soup Recipe
- Fried Corn Empanadas With Cheese
- Sweet Corn Tamales With Savory Pork Filling
- Mexican Corn On The Cob (Elote Recipe)
I hope you make this Mexican cornbread recipe! If this recipe was of any help to you, come back to let me know your experience. Please leave us a comment done below and tell us all about it!
Easy Sweet Corn Bread
- 4 cups of fresh corn kernels 600 Grams about 21 ½ oz
- ¾ cup sugar 150 grams = 5.3 oz
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup of melted butter about 110 grams = 1 stick of butter
- 1 Tbsp butter to grease the pan
- Parchment paper to line the baking pans. I used one 8”
- 20cm square pan.
- Preheat oven to 400F, grease your baking pan with butter, line the baking pan with the parchment paper, and grease the paper. Set aside.
- Place corn kernels, sugar, and eggs in your blender. Process for a few seconds to mix.
- Add the melted butter and process for a few more seconds until mixture is homogenous.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when tested. Let it cool before cutting. Serve with a dollop of cream or a mix of cream cheese and cream.