Fresh Tomatillo Salsa Recipe
Some foods have the magic of reviving memories. A taste of that particular dish and you are reminded of a specific time, place, person, or season in your life. This Fresh Tomatillo Salsa takes me to the Mexican State of Hidalgo, on a cold morning when we were traveling from Mexico City on our way to Tampico.
We had just passed by the Teotihuacan Pyramids and were entering Hidalgo when we saw a small road-side stand selling Lamb Barbacoa, and decided to stop by to have some breakfast. An old couple was just setting up all their cooking tools to start the day. While we waited for our food, I asked the old woman about the green salsa in the molcajete. “It’s Salsa Cruda with Xoconostle”, she said, pointing to the large cactus patch to the right of the road. Xoconostle is very similar to the “prickly pear” cactus, but, unfortunately, is not easy to find here in the US. Even though it doesn’t have Xoconostle, every time I make this salsa, it reminds me of that old lady selling lamb barbacoa on the roadside that cold morning, and how before we finished our breakfast, she gave me a large parcel wrapped with newspaper. When I opened, it had a Xoconostle plant. “Now, you can have your own Xoconostles”, she said.
How to make Fresh Tomatillo Salsa Recipe
- Put tomatillos, onion, garlic, serrano pepper, and cilantro in a blender. Process until it forms a chunky salsa.
- Sometimes when I’m in a hurry and in the mood for tacos I just cook some ground beef, fix this quick salsa, and voila! Taco Night is ready!!
Quick Fresh Tomatillo Salsa Recipe
- 10 oz Tomatillos or Miltomates chopped. (about 5 medium size tomatillos) husks remove and previously washed
- 3 Tbsp. White Onion chopped
- 2 Serrano Pepper chopped*
- 1 Small Garlic clove peeled
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Cilantro
- Salt to taste.
- Put tomatillos, onion, garlic, serrano pepper, and cilantro in a blender (or food processor). Process until it forms a chunky salsa.
- This salsa is very thick, with the texture of a relish. Do not add water. Season with salt and serve.
Enjoy our Fresh Tomatillo Salsa Recipe, I hope you make it and come back to let us know about it.Buen provecho!