With so many different tortas in Mexico, build an unforgettable sausage sandwich that hits all the right spots- right at home. This is a delicious and filling Mexican lunch you can make every day!
Why You'll Love This Sausage Sandwich
This sandwich is a combination of flavorful, fresh ingredients and salty vienna sausages. All the different tastes and textures work so perfectly together.
You'll enjoy making it when you feel like you are in the mood for something different. It's not spicy or overpowering. You can taste every single ingredient because none of them overpowers the one.
It's my husband's favorite lunch!
🌎 History Behind Tortas
Mexican food is so diverse that many outside Mexico wouldn’t think that we love our “tortas,” small but wholesome sandwiches made with a type of bread similar to the French baguette (named “bolillo”).
It is believed that tortas had their origin in Puebla, according to an article published by the website "Mexico Desconocido", around the years 1860's. They base this fact on a publication by a local newspaper "El Pajaro Verde", which mentions the existence of a torta compuesta.
Tortas are a preferred choice for small school stands to sell at recess time; they’re also a popular lunch option for office workers and a quick meal for those who need something easy to carry.
As far as the sandwich fillings go, there are so many options, but it only takes a few basic ingredients to make a Mexican torta. It has to have:
- Queso Fresco
From there on, you can get as creative as you want!
Growing up, I used to go to the grocery store near my house where the owner had a large glass container filled with hot dog sausages floating in a salty brine. For just 50 cents, he would make you a sausage torta with bolillo, mayonnaise, and a pickled jalapeño pepper!
Before I share my sandwich recipe, here are a few questions I've been asked about sausage sandwiches.
What is the best kind of bread to use for a sandwich?
Since there are so many ingredients in this sandwich, I suggest using a thick roll or baguette. It should be a slice of bread that has a thick crust so that it can hold the weight of the ingredients.
Are you supposed to cook Vienna sausages?
You do not have to cook the sausages; they are already pre-cooked. Some people like to heat up the sausage or even pan-fry it to really bring out the salty flavor. That is entirely optional!
Where do Vienna sausages come from?
These canned sausages are made with a mixture of different kinds of meat. This food is made and shipped from Germany, and people all across northern countries in Europe enjoy eating it.
This is a fresh and tasty sausage sandwich you can make on busy days.
Here is the list of ingredients you will need:
- Vegetable oil
- Armour Vienna original sausages
- Bolillos (bread rolls)
- Romaine leaves in pieces
- Mexican queso fresco
- Tomato slices
- Red onion slices
- Avocado cut into slices
- Pickled jalapeños (and/or carrots)
Please note: For exact measurements of the ingredients listed above, scroll down to the recipe card located at the bottom of this post!
It doesn't take long to make your own tasty sandwich!
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, add the sausages and slightly fry them, about 1 ½ minute per side. Once this step is done, remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet (or in a separate griddle if you prefer), add the butter and melt to medium-high.
- Place the bread roll (with the inside of the roll facing down) on the griddle to toast. About 2 minutes.
- For the assembly part, spread the mayo on each piece of bread, top with a few pieces of the lettuce, then arrange half of the Armour Vienna Sausages on top of the lettuce.
- Proceed with the cheese slice, tomato, onion, and half of the avocado slices.
- Cover with the other half of the roll.
- Serve and enjoy!
🍽 Side Dishes
I like to serve this sandwich with some pickled peppers and carrots. For a soup and sandwich type of lunch, add a bowl of Mexican pasta soup. It's incredibly filling!
📚 More Authentic Mexican Recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe for a sausage sandwich, take a look at some of these other authentic Mexican recipes:
- Mexican Pork Carnitas Torta
- Steak Sandwich
- Chipotle Tuna Sandwich
- Mexican Pork Leg Torta
- Pambazo Mexicano
I hope you make this sausage sandwich! If this recipe was of any help to you, come back to let me know your experience. Please leave us a comment below and tell us all about it!
Mexican Sausage Sandwich
- 2 tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 1 can Armour Vienna original sausages cut lengthwise
- 2 Mexican rolls* cut lengthwise
- 1 tsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. mayo
- 2 romaine leaves in pieces
- 2 slices of Mexican Queso Fresco about 1 oz. each
- 4 to mato slices
- 2 red onion slices
- ½ avocado cut into slices
- Pickled jalapeños and/or carrots (as you wish)
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, add the sausages and slightly fry them, about
- 1 ½ minute per side. Once this step is done, remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet (or in a separate griddle if you prefer), add the butter and melt to medium-high. Place the bread roll (with the inside of the roll facing down) on the griddle to toast. About 2 minutes.
- Now, for the assembly part: Spread the mayo on each piece of bread, top with a few pieces of the lettuce, then arrange half of the Armour Vienna Sausages on top of the lettuce. Proceed with the cheese slice, tomato, onion, and half of the avocado slices. Cover with the other half of the roll.
- Serve with some pickled peppers and carrots. Enjoy!