Making baked sweet potatoes with honey is a quick and easy recipe that can be served at any dinner. It's not a traditional Mexican recipe but I love to serve it for a quick meal. All it takes are 3 simple ingredients and you can serve it any night of the week! The best part about this dish is how flavorful it is without being too complicated to make.
This recipe for baked sweet potatoes with honey is a much quicker way to prepare sweet potatoes than the traditional baking method. Instead of having to bake them for more than an hour, with this technique, your sweet potatoes will be done in half the time!
This is not a traditional Mexican recipe, but I’m sharing it because I love baked sweet potatoes and thought that you might like this technique for making them quicker.
In Mexico, there are several ways of preparing sweet potatoes, and the most popular one is cooking them with a syrup made of Piloncillo and cinnamon. Another sweet potato dish that’s popular in the Yucatan region is a dessert made with a delicious mixture of sweet potato and coconut (it’s quite addictive!).
But, sometimes, I am craving just a simple sweet potato drizzled with a bit of honey for dinner. All it takes is 30 minutes of your time!
Frequently Asked Questions About Baked Sweet Potatoes
Before I share my recipe for baked sweet potatoes, here are a few questions I normally get about this homemade recipe.
What is the quickest way to make baked sweet potatoes?
This recipe is the quickest (and yummiest) way that I know to make baked sweet potatoes. There are other ways, but they all take more time than this one and include many more steps.
Is it better to bake or microwave a sweet potato?
To be honest, microwaving a sweet potato doesn’t really save time unless you’re in a hurry. Baked sweet potatoes are more flavorful and delicious than microwaved ones. But, if you don’t have time to bake them an hour or so before dinner, it’s better to go for the quick microwave method.
How long does it take to cook baked sweet potatoes?
For this specific recipe, it took me about 30-35 minutes- and that includes prep time!
Can I eat the skin of a sweet potato?
Yes! In fact, many people prefer to eat it because it tastes more natural this way. Plus, the skin of the sweet potato has fiber, plus many healthy vitamins and antioxidants.
Do I have to serve these sweet potatoes with honey?
No, you can serve it with whatever you like! You could even add a dollop of butter and sprinkle some cinnamon over the sweet potatoes.
Quick And Easy Baked Sweet Potatoes
Here are the 3 ingredients you'll need to make this dish:
- Sweet potatoes
Please note: For exact measurements of the ingredients listed above, scroll down to the recipe card located at the bottom of this post!
How To Make Baked Sweet Potatoes With Honey
This sweet potato recipe is SO easy to make! Here's how you do it:
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot, cover with water and turn the heat to medium-high.
- Once the water starts boiling, reduce the heat and place the lid on the pot. Let it simmer for 20 minutes
Note: The sweet potatoes will be softened at the end of this time.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the pot and place them on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated oven at 350º F for 10 minutes.
Tip: Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick: if it goes all the way through effortlessly, the sweet potatoes are ready.
- Place the potatoes on a serving dish or on individual plates. Cut a slit lengthwise in each sweet potato. Add the butter and drizzle with honey.
What To Serve With Honey Baked Sweet Potatoes
Whenever I make these sweet potatoes for dinner, I love to serve them with a juicy delicious protein, like pollo asado or carne asada. And, for those of you that like spicy and sweet meals. You can't forget the spicy salsa!
The sweetness from the potato and honey balances out the heat of the salsa and it's so delicious!
More Authentic Mexican Recipes:
If you enjoyed this recipe for baked sweet potatoes, take a look at some of these other authentic Mexican recipes:
- Mexican Spicy Potatoes
- Cassava Fritters
- Fried Plantains
- Sweet Mashed Plantains (Mogo Mogo)
- Creamy Poblano Potatoes
I hope you make these sweet potatoes with honey! If this recipe was of any help to you, come back to let me know your experience. Please leave us a comment done below and tell us all about it!
Baked Sweet Potatoes With Honey
- 4 Medium size sweet potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon of butter per sweet potato
- 2 Teaspoons of honey per sweet potato
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Turn the heat to medium-high. Once the water starts boiling, reduce the heat and place the lid on the pot. Let simmer for 20 minutes; the sweet potatoes will be softened at the end of this time.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the pot and place on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated oven at 350º F for 10 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick: if it goes all the way through effortlessly, the sweet potatoes are ready.
- Place the potatoes on a serving dish or on individual plates. Cut a slit lengthwise in each sweet potato. Add the butter and drizzle with honey. Enjoy!