Smoked oyster dip is a dish that I prepare often. It's perfect to serve at holiday parties or as an appetizer for any occasion! The smoked oysters give it a great flavor, and the cream cheese offers a nice richness to balance out all of those smoked flavors. This recipe also includes hot sauce and green onions, which add some zing! Whip up this smoked oyster dip before your next party. It is a festive party food that has a little spicy kick to it!
With the holidays approaching fast, family and friends gatherings can get a little hectic, and those in charge of cooking know very well what I am talking about. I used to get very anxious when having guests coming over, but not anymore.
Over the years, I have collected party food tips from here and there, and with a little planning, a few staple items in my fridge and pantry, I can welcome friends and family anytime.
I always try to keep the following types of food on hand all the time: canned tuna, smoked oysters, 2 or 3 types of cheeses, mayo, olives, bread, veggies, and fruit. Plus, some seasonings to spice things up a little.
For today's recipe, I will be making smoked oyster dip using some of the essentials I have in the pantry and fridge! It is very easy to prepare and uses only a few ingredients. I’m using Tabasco Original red sauce in this recipe because it is a hot sauce that does not leave you sweating, but it is rather a sauce that enhances the flavors of the other ingredients in your recipe.
The smoked oyster dip is a typical recipe in Mexican gastronomy and is particularly recommended as a snack for delicious party food around Easter (Semana Santa) and Christmas.
If you are a seafood lover, this recipe will be one of your favorites!
Frequently Asked Questions About Smoked Oyster Dip
Before I share my party dip recipe, here are a few questions I’ve been asked about the homemade oyster dip.
Can I use fresh oysters for this dip recipe?
Yes, you can certainly use fresh oysters in this dip. The only thing I suggest is that you taste it after you make it. If you think it needs more spices, add more. I think my recipe calls for the perfect amount of spice for canned oysters, so I'm not sure how fresh oysters would taste.
What can I serve with smoked oyster dip?
If you are going to serve them as an appetizer, place them on the appetizer table with a few of my other favorite choices. Set out some homemade tortilla chips, saltine crackers, or toast crisps to dip into your oyster spread. I also like to serve it with fresh chopped veggies, bolillos, and crackers.
Is this oyster dip spicy?
No, I don't think this dip is very spicy at all. In order to make it spicier, I suggest adding more tobasco sauce to it or topping it with some habanero peppers.
Smoked Oyster Dip
Here is a list of ingredients you will need to make this dish...
- Smoked Oysters (canned)
- Heavy Cream
- Cream Cheese
- Tobasco Sauce
- Green Onions
- If you don't have any heavy cream, you can easily swap it out for some sour cream.
- Top it off with green chives if you don't have any green onions.
Please note: For exact measurements of the ingredients listed above, scroll down to the recipe card located at the bottom of this post!Jump to Recipe
How To Make Smoked Oyster Dip: Step By Step Tutorial
This party dip is so easy and simple to make yourself! Here is how you can make it:
- Place the canned smoked oysters in your blender with 2 tablespoons of heavy cream. Mix well until you have a chunky texture or, if you prefer, until very smooth.
- Gently mix the cream cheese until it has a creamy texture.
- Add the oysters and Tabasco sauce. Mix until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Serve and enjoy!
What To Serve With Oyster Dip
I love to serve this dip over a cracker or piece of toasted bread. And if needed, add more Tabasco sauce as I do. Yum!
You can also serve it with some crackers, veggies, or toast.
More Authentic Mexican Recipes To Enjoy
If you enjoyed this recipe for an oyster dip, take a look at some of these other authentic Mexican recipes:
I hope you make this smoked oyster dip recipe! If this recipe was of any help to you, come back to let me know your experience. Please leave us a comment done below and tell us all about it!
Smoked Oyster DIP
- 1 Can 3.75 oz smoked oysters
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream or sour cream
- 1 Package 8 oz Cream Cheese, room temperature.
- ¼ Teaspoon Tabasco Original Red Sauce*
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped Chives or green onions to garnish OPTIONAL
- Place smoked oyster in your blender with the 2 tablespoons of heavy cream. Mix well until you have a chunky texture or if you prefer until very smooth.
- Gently mix the cheese until it has a creamy texture.
- Add the oyster mix and Tabasco Sauce. Mix until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper. Taste it spreading some of the dip over a cracker or piece of toasted bread. And if needed add more Tabasco Salsa, as I do. Yum! Serve with crackers, veggies or toast.
- * ¼ teaspoon of Tabasco Sauce might seem like a lot to some, but the cream cheese helps the flavor blend and creates the perfect combination.
- If you prefer, you could use Tabasco Jalapeño or Habanero Sauce. It gives the dip a new twist in flavor.
- This dip is ideal for your Holiday gatherings since you can make it ahead of time or just in a few minutes while you entertaining your guest.