Do you love hot peanuts? If so, then here's a recipe for homemade spicy peanuts that'll have your mouth on fire! This is one of my son's favorite Mexican snack recipes, and it only takes about 15 minutes to make. The recipe is pretty simple and only uses 5 ingredients. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do in our Mexican kitchen!
One of the things we love to do as a family is going to the movies, which of course, leads to us having a lot of movies at home. This summer, our favorite movie was Guardians of the Galaxy. We loved it so much, we bought our own copy to watch at home!
For our family movie nights, we like to make a bunch of our favorite snacks. My husband likes to eat these fried corn empanadas with cheese while I prefer to make some of my homemade chipotle dip to eat with raw chopped veggies and tortilla chips.
My son on the other hand is all about spicy food. Actually, this hot peanuts recipe is his! It’s a snack loved by many in my country and is usually sold in small packages, but it's also really quick and easy to make at home! I used to buy them for him all the time when he is younger, but now he makes his own.
These peanuts are not only easy to make but they are delicious and addictive. Once you take your first bite of these spicy peanuts, they will be hard to put down! Lucky for us, he is going to show us how he makes Mexican spicy peanuts at home!
Frequently Asked Questions About Mexican Peanuts
Before I share his recipe, here are a few questions I've been asked and wanted to answer.
How can I make these spicy peanuts even spicier?
If you want to make the peanuts even spicier, grind some of the roasted Arbol peppers and mix it in again. The peppers will be very crispy and easy to crumble over the peanuts.
What if I can't find the Arbol peppers?
If you can't find Arbol peppers, you can substitute them with Piquin peppers or any other dried pepper available in your area.
Take a look at this guide of Mexican dried peppers I put together to help you find the one you want!
Can I swap out the peanuts for another kind of nut?
Yes! We have tried swapping out the peanuts for some almonds and walnuts and it was just as good.
You could also use:
- Brazil nuts
Mexican Spicy Peanuts
Making hot peanuts at home has never been easier! All you need are these 5 ingredients:
- Vegetable Oil
- Peanuts (skin on)
- Whole Dried Arbol Peppers
- Garlic Cloves
Please note: For exact measurements of the ingredients listed above, scroll down to the recipe card located at the bottom of this post!
How To Make Hot Peanuts: Step By Step Tutorial
This recipe is super simple and very delicious. All you need to do is:
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the peppers and garlic. Sauté peppers and garlic for about 2 minutes to release their aroma.
- Add the peanuts, lower the heat, and stir frequently to avoid burning them. Keep roasting for about 7 minutes. By this time, the combination of garlic, pepper, and peanuts will be very fragrant.
- Season with salt and remove from heat.
- Place in a serving container to cool and enjoy!
What To Serve Hot Spicy Peanuts
These peanuts work great as a quick snack or appetizer with a nice, cold Michelada cocktail. If you are wanting more of a meal to serve alongside the spicy peanuts for movie night, I recommend something easy you can eat with your hands.
Some of my go-to's are:
More Authentic Mexican Recipes To Enjoy
If you enjoyed this recipe for spicy peanuts, take a look at some of these other authentic Mexican recipes:
I hope you make these Mexican hot peanuts! If this recipe was of any help to you, come back to let me know your experience. Please leave us a comment done below and tell us all about it!
Spicy Peanuts Snack
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 lb of peanuts the ones with the skins still on
- 6 whole dried Arbol peppers
- 2 thinly sliced garlic cloves optional
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the peppers and garlic. Sauté peppers and garlic for about 2 minutes to release their aroma.
- Add the peanuts, lower the heat, and stir frequently to avoid burning them. Keep roasting for about 7 minutes. By this time, the combination of the garlic, pepper, and peanuts will be very fragrant. Season with the salt and remove from heat. Place in a serving container to cool and enjoy!
- If you want to make the peanuts even spicier, grind some of the roasted arbol peppers and mix again. The peppers will be very crispy and easy to crumble over the peanuts.