If you are looking for s simple and healthy way to cook Mexican squash, take a look at this super easy recipe for steamed squash! You can have these green squashes ready to eat in just 8 minutes. Perfect to serve as a light dinner or as a side dish to your favorite Mexican meal!
Squash is one of my favorite vegetables to cook, especially Mexican zucchini squash! They are perfect for absorbing lots of flavors from different dishes and they are very delicious.
My family and I love to cook it with some heavy cream for a flavorful sauce or add them to stews and soups to bulk them up with healthy vegetables. You can also use them as the base and stuff them with meat and cheese- that is my son’s absolute favorite!
I personally love them steamed, like in this recipe. It’s so easy, you can prepare it in only a matter of minutes.
Different Types Of Squash in México
Squash has been a part of Mexican gastronomy since pre-Hispanic times, and ever since then has been planted alongside corn, beans, and peppers.
Out of all types of squash found in Mexico, there are two very popular varieties:
- Creole squash
- Italian squash
Both varieties of squash have a very mild and tasty flavor, with very tender skin!
The Creole squash (or “Calabaza Criolla”) is mostly known in the central states and has a small, round shape, measuring 2-3 inches in diameter. It also has a pale green color. Italian squash is found all over Mexico, has a pale green color, and is oblong in shape, measuring 3-6 inches.
Personally, I find these types of squash to be a little sweeter compared to the dark green zucchini or yellow squashes. If you find these Mexican squash varieties, I recommend you give them a try! Children love their tenderness and mild flavor.
My family really enjoys this quick-to-prepare side dish, and I hope your family does too!
Frequently Asked Questions About Steamed Squash
Before I share my vegetable recipe, here are a few questions I've been asked about homemade steamed squash.
What can I use if I can’t find Creole or Italian squash?
If you can’t find either one of these Mexican squashes, you can use any other type of tender zucchini.
How can I season the squash to make it taste good?
I went with some simple salt and pepper this time. But, sometimes, I will add some garlic and onion powder to really give it some delicious flavor. If I want it to be spicy, I will add in some red pepper flakes.
Mexican Steamed Squash
You only really need 4 ingredients and your favorite seasonings to make this recipe. Here is what you will need:
- Mexican squash or zucchini (medium-sized)
- Butter or olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Mexican queso fresco (crumbled)
Please note: For exact measurements of the ingredients listed above, scroll down to the recipe card located at the bottom of this post!
How To Make Steamed Squash: Step By Step Tutorial
This steamed squash recipe is so simple, you can make it in 4 easy steps.
- Start out by cleaning the squash really well and slicing it evenly.
- Place the sliced squash in a medium-size frying pan and add butter and water.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and cover with a lid to let the veggies steam for 8 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and let it rest for one more minute. Season with salt and pepper.
To serve, divide the steamed squash on serving plates and sprinkle with the crumbled cheese.
What To Serve With Steamed Mexican Squash
There are so many different recipes you can serve steamed squash. I like to make cook up a few fish fillets in garlic sauce and serve with some white rice for a healthy dinner during the week. Or, my husband with cook up some carne asada to eat with the squash and some spicy potatoes.
More Authentic Mexican Recipes To Enjoy
If you enjoyed this recipe for steamed squash, take a look at some of these other authentic Mexican recipes:
- Squash Blossom and Squash Soup
- Squash Vine and Shoots Soup
- Mexican Squash With Cheese
- Cream Of Zucchini Soup
- Squash Blossoms Quesadilla
I hope you make this steamed Mexican squash! If this recipe was of any help to you, come back to let me know your experience. Please leave us a comment done below and tell us all about it!
Mexican Steamed Squash
- 2 medium size squash or zucchini cut into ⅓-in slices (about 12 oz.)
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 4 tablespoons water
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ cup crumbled Mexican queso fresco
- Place sliced squash in a medium-size frying pan. Add butter and water.
- Turn heat to medium-high and steam for 8 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and let it rest for one more minute. Season with salt and pepper. To serve, divide on serving plates and sprinkle with the crumbled cheese. Enjoy!