– Using a large saucepan over medium heat, fry the chorizo in its own fat until cooked (about 8 minutes.
– Add the chopped onion and cook for 2 minutes (it will start to look transparent), then stir in the chopped peppers and cook for 3 more minutes.
– Stir in the chopped tomatoes and cook for about 6-8 minutes.
– After this, add the cooked beans and the cup of water. Keep cooking, and when it comes to a boil, reduce the heat and gently simmer for 5 more minutes.
– While the soup is cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet and fry the tortilla strips. Remove and place over paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
– Serve in a bowl and garnish with the fried tortilla strips, chopped cilantro, and avocado slices (if using).