2 hrs 45 mins
Instructions for the stuffing: – Mix all the stuffing ingredients in a large bowl and set aside to use when the turkey is ready to be stuffed.
Deboning guidelines: – Remove the giblet and neck of the turkey. Using a sharp boning knife, make a single, straight cut on the backbone of the turkey. We will remove the breast, back and part of the tight bones.
– Next, use your boning knife to carve the right side of the turkey’s ribcage. However, take care not to cut through the backside of the breast skin. This process may take up to 25 minutes, depending on the size of the turkey and your carving skills.
– Cut the thigh joints carving between the bones and the turkey meat. Keep cutting around the ribcage and cut the wings joints. Do not remove the wing bones as they will give shape to the turkey and for presentation. Be always careful not to cut the skin.
– Find the upper thigh joint where it connects to the turkey breast with the other hand and press forward with your thumb on the joint while pulling toward you by the bottom of the leg.
– The joint will break. Cut through any connecting cartilage, taking care not to cut the skin.
– Carve turkey meat from the top side of the thigh flat bone and remove bone. Leave lower leg for shape and presentation of the turkey. Repeat the process with the left side. And carefully remove the whole breast and back of the turkey, save for a broth. I make Pozole with the leftover turkey legs and the broth.
– Once you have removed the ribcage, generously season the inside of the turkey with salt and pepper and any herbs or spices you may like to add. Now, you can proceed to stuff the turkey cavity with the meat previously mixed with all the ingredients.
9Pull skin together over stuffing. Close the incision using a cotton thread and a large cooking needle.