– Heat a large pot over medium-high heat, add the avocado leaves if using. Slightly toast them for a few seconds per each side, they will release their aroma, and turn a little brown. The addition of the leaves will give enhance the flavor of the stew. Remove from the pot to add the ribs.
– Add the short ribs to the pot and brown well on all sides, place the dry and toasted avocado leaves back into the pot. Add 1 cup of water and place the lid. Cook over medium heat for about 1 ½ hours or until meat is fork tender. If the liquid reduces, add about ½ cupmore of warm water.
– While the meat is cooking, prepare the sauce. Heat a griddle at medium-high heat, roast the tomatillos and garlic cloves turning occasionally until they are charred about 10 minutes. Place the Arbol peppers into the griddle and lightly toasted them. This will take a few seconds. Place the chopped cilantro, peppers, garlic with the peel removed, tomatillos, and the meat broth into a blender. Process until you have a combined and smooth sauce.
– Remove the meat pieces from your pot and add the sauce, simmer the sauce for 5 minutes and bring back the ribs to the pot. Keep cooking for 8 more minutes. Add some beef stock if needed. With the help of 2 forks shred the meat a bit and incorporate with the sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.
– Serve with warm corn tortillas and white rice or pinto beans.