– Toast the piquin peppers on a hot griddle for about one minute, making sure to avoid burning the peppers (this step is a very quick one).
– Place the piquin peppers, chopped tomatoes, garlic clove, and ½ cup of water into your blender. Process until you have a very smooth sauce.
– Heat one (1) tablespoon of vegetable oil in a frying pan and add the finely chopped white onion. Cook for about 3 minutes until it becomes transparent.
– Pour the salsa into the frying pan and cook on medium-high for 8-10 minutes, until the tomatoes are cooked. Season with salt and set aside.
– In another frying pan, heat the remaining three (3) tablespoons of vegetable oil and lightly fry each tortilla, turning once to fry each side. The tortilla has to still be soft and pliable. Place the tortillas on a plate covered with a paper towel.