1 hr 5 mins
– Mix the chopped chocolate with the hot water until it dissolves, then set aside.
– In a large bowl, mix the masa harina with the warm water and vegetable oil. Knead well.
– Add the melted chocolate and vanilla extract to the dough and keep kneading..
– Stir in the cocoa powder, light brown sugar, and salt. Keep kneading until you have a uniform texture (the dough will be very creamy).
– To form the tamales, place about ⅓ cup of dough on a piece of banana leaf (or cornhusk) and add a tablespoon of solid chocolate ganache filling to the center of the dough. Fold the edges of the banana leaf of cornhusk to wrap the tamal.
– Cook in a pot with a steam rack for 45 minutes. After that time, let them rest for 30 minutes before serving.