– Place chopped zucchini or squash in a skillet, add one cup of water, and cover. Turn heat to medium-high; once it starts boiling, reduce heat to low. Keep cooking until zucchini or squash is tender, but not overcook. It should look firm and still have a bright color. This step will take about 8 minutes total.
– While the vegetables are cooking, heat butter and oil in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat until butter is melting. Add the onion and garlic and cook until transparent, about 2 minutes.
– Add flour and stir until flour has a light golden color. Pour milk and chicken broth into the saucepan and stir to dissolve the flour mixture, about one minute.
– Remove zucchini/squash from skillet and drain any liquid left. Place into a blender with the milk combination. Process until you have a fine mixture.
– Pour this mixture into the saucepan and turn the heat to medium. Keep cooking, stirring from time to time. Let it simmer on a warm heat setting for about 6-8 minutes until soup starts to thicken. Season with salt and pepper.