– Chop the tomatoes and place in a blender along with the chopped onion and garlic. Process until you have a smooth sauce.
– Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan and then pour the tomato sauce.
– Cook the tomato sauce over medium-high heat for about 7-8 minutes until it starts to boil.
– While the tomato sauce is cooking, puree the black beans and their broth in a blender or food processor until they have a fine texture.
– Pour the black bean puree into the saucepan and stir, mixing well. The puree has to have a very fine, silky texture. If you prefer, pass through a strainer to obtain the best results. If the soup is too thick, add the chicken broth a tablespoon at the time to get a creamy texture. Don’t pour it all at once, since it could result in a watery soup. Season soup with salt and pepper.
– Simmer the soup, stirring frequently for about 15 minutes. Serve warm with your choice of toppings.