– Mix the masa harina, salt, and water in a bowl. Knead well until the dough is soft. Add more water as needed (see note above). Divide the dough into 12 equal-sized balls, and cover with a wet kitchen napkin.
– Heat the oil in a medium-size frying pan. In a bowl, mix the Queso fresco with the sugar.
– Place one ball of masa between 2 plastic sheets in your tortilla press. Press down on the tortilla press to form a circle and then remove the top plastic.
– Place 2 tablespoons of the queso-sugar mix in the center of the dough circle. With the help of the bottom plastic sheet, fold the circle in half and seal the edges very well. If you don’t seal the edges well, the filling can ooze out when frying, and cause the oil to splatter.
– Place the formed empanadas into the hot oil and cook, turning them once they have a golden-brown finish. Cook for about 2 minutes per side. When done, remove from the oil and place on a plate that’s covered with paper napkins (to absorb any excess oil).
– Right before serving, mix the shredded cabbage with the lime juice. Serve the empanadas topped with a portion of the cabbage, a drizzle of your favorite salsa, and a sprinkle of some Cotija cheese.