1 hr 15 mins
– Place the 3 lbs. of tripe, ½ onion, 4 garlic cloves, and 1 bay leaf in a pot with 3 L of water. Cook for 2 – 2:30 hrs. (or 30 min. in an Instant Pot).
– While you are cooking the tripe, clean, cut, and deseed the Ancho peppers, then roast them on a griddle for a few seconds on each side. Remove them promptly and soak in hot water for 25 minutes, until they are softened.
– In the same griddle, roast the tomatoes, ⅓ onion, and garlic clove, turning them to have an even roasting. Place them in your blender along with the softened pepper, cumin, and vinegar. Process until you have a smooth sauce. Set aside.
– In a large pot, heat the oil and fry the chorizo in it. After a couple of minutes, add the ham and fry for three minutes.
– Pour the blended sauce into the pot, and cook for 8 more minutes.
– Once the tripe is cooked, add to the pot along with its broth and the garbanzo beans. Keep cooking for 15 minutes. Season soup with salt and pepper.
– Serve with warm corn tortillas, lime wedges, and dried oregano for seasoning. If you like, you can also serve chopped serrano peppers and chopped onion.