– Place plantains (whole and unpeeled) in a large pot. Pour 1 cup of water into the pot and gently steam at medium heat for about 12-15 minutes, or until the banana peels start to burst open and the bananas look cooked.
– Remove the bananas and let them drain any excess liquid. Peel and place in a large bowl.
– Mash the plantains using a potato masher. Let them cool for at least one hour, this way the plantain mix will be easier to handle (I usually cook them early in the morning or the night before I plan to make the molotes). You can place the mashed plantains in the fridge to cool.
– Heat the oil to medium-low. This detail is important, because if the oil is too hot the molotes will burn quickly due to the plantain’s high sugar content.
– To form the molotes, place about ⅓ cup of the plantain mixture over the plastic and spread it as if you were making a tortilla. Next, spread on about ½ tablespoon of the beans and top with one stick of cheese. Proceed to.