– In a large pan or casserole, sauté the onion and cabbage in some oil over medium heat. I recommend you slice the cabbage as thinly as possible, which will keep it from becoming tough.
– Cover the pan (or casserole) for a few minutes, so that the steam can continue to cook the cabbage and mix with the flavor of the onion.
– Mix in the diced tomatoes, tomato puree, garlic powder, and ketchup. After everything is well combined, let it continue to simmer for a few minutes. Add the meat (previously cooked and shredded) and mix.
– Add the chipotle. (For the kids and those that do not like to eat spicy, I tend to set aside some of the stew before this step.) Season with salt and pepper to taste. Continue to simmer on low heat for 5 more minutes.
– Serve as a main dish, along with corn tostadas and some refried black beans to make a complete meal. Enjoy!