– Place the cleaned peppers directly onto the flame of the burner. You can also roast the peppers under a broiler. Let the skin char slightly making sure you turn them to have an even roasted of the skin. (Since I was taking the pictures, mine were getting too char).
– After completing this step place in a plastic bag or cover with a kitchen towel and let them sweat with their steam for about 15 minutes to loosen up their skin.
– After sweating the peppers the skin will come off easily. Using a knife or with your finger make a slit and remove the core with the seeds and the veins using a knife or your hand. Clean with your hands or with a paper towel. Many recipes indicate to clean the peppers under running water but doing that you take away the delicious roasted flavor.
– Cut the peppers into strips and slice the onion. If the pepper strips seem to long cut them in half.
– Place a frying pan over a medium heat and add the oil. Once the oil is hot add the onions. Fry them stirring frequently with out browning them.
– Add the garlic if using cook for about 2 minutes.
– After that you are ready to stir in the Poblano strips. Keep cooking 2 more minutes.
– Add the cream and let simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add Salt to season.
– Variations to this dish: There are many variations to this dish some include adding cooked chicken breast strips, fresh cheese strips, potatoes,etc.
– To add potatoes, peel and cut the potatoes, place them in a pot with cold water and cook until almost al dente. Strain the liquid and add to the Poblano strips before adding the cream.