1 1/2 cups
– In an ungreased griddle at medium high heat, roast the tomatoes, garlic and peppers. They will start showing brown spots. Turn them to get an even roasting.
– In different areas of Northern México, some cooks use a stove top type of grill to char their tomatoes and peppers.
– I found this at an Asian market. I tried it out but it takes longer to cook the tomatoes and is a little bit messy. So, I will stick to the more traditional griddle method.
– You can also char/roast the tomatoes directly over a flame, or on your gas or charcoal grill and also roast them in your broiler, just make sure you do place the tomatoes in a fireproof pan to contain the juices from the tomatoes and turn the tomatoes once to roast the other side. The tomatoes should be soft and slightly charred when done.
– Put the ingredients into a blender and puree until smooth.