Beef, Main Course
1 hr 15 mins
– Place the meat, onion, garlic, and bay leaf in a large pot, and cover with water. Cook over a medium-high heat until it starts boiling. One it starts boiling, covers the pot and reduces heat to simmer.
– Total cooking time will be about 1 hr and 30 minutes. Cook until meat is tender and can be easily shredded with a fork. 45 minutes in a pressure cooker, or about 5 hours in a slow cooker in a high heat setting.
– Once cooked, remove from pot and place in a bowl, draining any excess broth.
– Once the meat is cool enough to handle, shred the meat using 2 forks, pulling the meat with the forks in opposite directions, until you break the meat into strands. Discard any bits of fat or gristle you find in the meat. Continue this process until all the meat is shredded.
– Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the meat and stir-fry for about 5 minutes. Add a little bit of the cooking broth to moisten the meat. Season with salt and pepper.