Squash with Cheese
Mexican Squash is one of our deeply beloved Mexican vegetables. We call these squashes “calabacitas”, and they have a slightly sweeter flavor compared to zucchini. They’re delicious paired with cheese, cream, or just served by themselves! Check out this traditional recipe to learn how to cook and enjoy them at home.
– Chop the tomatoes and garlic, then place them in your blender with the ¼ cup of water. Puree until you have a smooth salsa. Set aside.
– In a medium-size skillet, heat the oil and butter at medium-high heat. Once it is hot, add the chopped onion and cook for 2-3 minutes.
– While the onion is cooking, dice the squash. Make sure that all the pieces are the same size in order to have an even cooking. Set aside.
Once the onion in the skillet is transparent, pour in the tomato sauce, add the cilantro sprigs, and cook for 3 more minutes.
– Just before serving, stir in the diced queso Panela.
– Enjoy as a side dish or as a meal making tacos using hot corn tortillas. Enjoy!