1 hr 20 mins
– Place the meat and the bones in a large pot along with 1 garlic clove, one half of the onion, 2 peppercorns, 3 bay leaves, and salt to taste. Fill the pot with eight cups of water and cook on high heat until it reaches boiling point. After the water starts to boil, reduce the heat to low and keep cooking for 30 minutes, or until the meat is soft.
– Once the meat has been cooked, remove it from the pot and cut it into small cubes. It has to be very finely chopped. Remove the marrow from the bones and mix it into the chopped beef.
– Strain the broth from the pot in order to remove the remains of the onion and other condiments. Return the broth to the same pot, and add the chopped beef with marrow.
– In order to prepare the “sofrito”, dice the tomatoes, green pepper (with seeds removed), garlic clove, and remaining half of the onion. Heat the two tablespoons of vegetable oil in a medium pan and add the diced ingredients to fry. Add a couple of tablespoons of the beef broth to the pan and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
– Add this “sofrito” to your blender along with the thyme and oregano. Blend until you have a fine and homogeneous mixture, then pour into the pot with the beef broth (you do not need to strain it).