Add to Collection
Go to Collections
CARNE CON PAPAS
This is another recipe that reminds me of my mother. As all of us know, when you are raising a large family you have to be really creative to feed them. The uncertainty in the economy makes this task sometimes challenging. But my mom always managed to use simple ingredients.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 1 1/2 Pound Beef Chuck roast trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 large tomatoes chopped (About 4 cups when chopped)
- 1 cup of chicken broth*
- 1/2 cup white onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- 2 large potatoes cubed
- 2 serrano peppers**
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- Salt and Pepper to season
Season beef with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet or casserole over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add meat cubes and cook until browned on all sides. About 10 minutes.
While the meat is cooking, place in your blender the tomatoes, onion, garlic and a cup of chicken broth. Puree until you have a smooth sauce.
Stir in this sauce into the skillet with the meat using a strainer or sieve. Bring it to simmering and cook covered for about 20 minutes. Add more broth if needed.
Stir in potatoes and serrano peppers; cook until meat and potatoes are tender. Stirring halfway through cooking.
Just before serving, add the chopped cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm with rice or warm corn tortillas.
- If you don’t have Chicken broth, substitute with 1 cup of water and 2 teaspoons of chicken bullion.
- The pepper can also be blended into the sauce if you prefer to have the dish a little spicy.
- You can use other herbs like oregano, Bay leaves or thyme instead of cilantro to season this meal.
Serving: 6OZ | Calories: 465kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 117mg | Sodium: 371mg | Potassium: 1391mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1210IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 7.4mg