Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Shredded Beef Tacos Recipe
Shredded beef Tacos cooked in a dried pepper sauce is one of the many common fillings for the popular “Tacos Mañaneros” (morning tacos) and “Tacos de Canasta” (basket tacos). The type of peppers and spices used differ from state to state and region to region.
- 3 cups of HERDEZ Guajillo Cooking Sauce
- 1 garlic clove peeled
- 1 1/2 lb. skirt steak cubed
- 1/3 medium onion
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large tomato chopped
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large potato cooked and cut into cubes*
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 corn tortillas or 12 small flour tortillas
Cook the meat with onion and 1 bay leaf in a large stock pot covered with water until meat is tender and can be shredded easily. About 1 ½ hour or 35 minutes in a pressure cooker.
Place 1 cup of the Guajillo sauce, chopped tomato, garlic clove, bay leaves, cumin and oregano into the blender, process until you have a smooth sauce. Set aside.
Once meat is tender, remove it from the pot and shred finely.
Heat the oil in a skillet over a medium heat; add the guajillo sauce from the blender and the rest of the Herdez cooking sauce.
Add the shredded meat and the cooked potatoes, season with salt. Keep cooking for about 15-18 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
Warm the tortillas and form the taquitos, placing some of the fillings in the center of each tortilla and fold or roll. Garnish with a side of lettuce, tomato slices and crumbled cheese.
- Potatoes are optional.
- You can use pork shoulder instead of beef.
- If you prefer to make your own guajillo salsa, roast the peppers, and then soak for 20 minutes in water before you process them in the blender.
Calories: 252kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 71mg | Sodium: 722mg | Potassium: 941mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 710IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 5mg