Add to Collection
Go to Collections
POTATO POBLANO SOUP RECIPE
This is an incredibly easy soup to make. It’s made with diced potatoes and roasted Poblano peppers, and served with cubes of creamy Panela cheese. You can enjoy it with warm tortillas or crusty warm bread.
- 16 oz. potatoes diced
- 5 oz. Poblano Peppers roasted and cut into strips*
- 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil or butter
- ½ cup white onion chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water optional
- 1 sprig of Cilantro
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 8 oz. Panela Cheese diced
Place the potatoes in a saucepan with 4 cups of cold water. Turn the heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Once it has come to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 8 minutes. The potatoes have to be cooked, but still firm.
Remove the potatoes from the heat and drain, then set aside.
Heat the oil in the saucepan, then add the chopped onion and garlic. Sauté for two minutes over medium heat until the onion becomes transparent.
Stir in the precooked potatoes and Roasted Poblano pepper strips. Cook for two more minutes and then pour in the chicken broth. Add the cilantro sprigs and let everything simmer for 8 minutes. Make sure your potatoes are still firm, but cooked. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Just before serving, add the diced Panela cheese. Enjoy!
- Here is a quick photo tutorial on how to roast Poblano peppers if you have an electric stove.
- Turn your stove’s broiler on and place the peppers about 2 inches under the heat. This step is rather quick, and you need to be watching the process carefully to avoid burning the peppers.
- Once one side of the peppers’ skins start forming blisters, turn them over (using kitchen tongs) to roast the other side. Remove promptly, then wrap them with a kitchen towel and let them rest for 5 minutes. The steam generated will make the skins easier to peel. Peel the skins off, then cut the peppers into strips, making sure to discard the seeds.
Calories: 325kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 39mg | Sodium: 1306mg | Potassium: 821mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 590IU | Vitamin C: 59.8mg | Calcium: 384mg | Iron: 4.4mg