Add to Collection
Go to Collections
MEXICAN SQUASH WITH CHEESE IN A TOMATO SAUCE
Mexican Squash is one of our deeply beloved Mexican vegetables. We call these squashes “calabacitas”, and they have a slightly sweeter flavor compared to zucchini. They’re delicious paired with cheese, cream, or just served by themselves! Check out this traditional recipe to learn how to cook and enjoy them at home.
- 11 oz. tomatoes about 3 plum tomatoes
- 1 small garlic clove
- ¼ cup of water
- 13 oz. Mexican Squash about 2 medium Calabacitas
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil or olive oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- ¼ cup white onion chopped
- 2 sprigs of cilantro optional
- 7 oz. Mexican Panela Cheese Queso Panela, diced
- Salt to taste
Chop the tomatoes and garlic, then place them in your blender with the ¼ cup of water. Puree until you have a smooth salsa. Set aside.
In a medium-size skillet, heat the oil and butter at medium-high heat. Once it is hot, add the chopped onion and cook for 2-3 minutes.
While the onion is cooking, dice the squash. Make sure that all the pieces are the same size in order to have an even cooking. Set aside.
Once the onion in the skillet is transparent, pour in the tomato sauce, add the cilantro sprigs, and cook for 3 more minutes. After this, stir in the diced squash and season with salt. Cook for 10-12 more minutes until the squash is tender and the tomato sauce is cooked.
Just before serving, stir in the diced queso Panela.
Enjoy as a side dish or as a meal making tacos using hot corn tortillas. Enjoy!
- If you don’t find Mexican Squash, use zucchini, it will still taste great. For those of you that like spicy meals, you can add 1 Serrano pepper or ½ jalapeño pepper to the sauce while you blend it.
- Queso Panela can be substituted by queso fresco. If you can’t find that either then you can use Feta cheese, just remember that this cheese is salty, so take that into account when seasoning the tomato sauce.
Calories: 225kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 52mg | Sodium: 593mg | Potassium: 471mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1205IU | Vitamin C: 28.4mg | Calcium: 267mg | Iron: 0.9mg