Add to Collection
Go to Collections
HOW TO MAKE SPICY TOMATILLO SALSA VERDE
Easy Homemade Salsa verde, made with tomatillos, serrano o jalapeño peppers. This authentic Mexican salsa is the way we make it in Mexico. Goes great with carnitas, steak tacos, and grilled chicken.
Servings 16 Servings ( 2 Tbsp each)
- 6 tomatillos husked and washed. About 2 cups.
- 3 tablespoon of chopped onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 or 3 serranos peppers if using Jalapeño peppers use 1
- Salt to taste
- About 3 cups of water to cook the tomatoes and peppers.
- 4 tbsp Chopped Chilantro Optional
In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the pepper and tomatillos, simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes.
Drain, reserving ¼ cup water of the liquid.
In a blender, puree the peppers, tomatillos, garlic and chopped onion, the cilantro if using, then add the reserved liquid if needed to get a saucier texture.
Transfer to a bowl and add salt to taste.
This sauce can be refrigerated for up to 3 days and can also be frozen.
- This recipe makes 2 cups of salsa verde
- In some places, fresh tomatillos are not available. You can buy canned Tomatillos as an option.
- Chopped cilantro is an excellent addition to this sauce; it could be added to the final process in the blender, or at serving time.
Serving: 2Tbsp | Calories: 5kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 39mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 30IU | Vitamin C: 2.1mg | Calcium: 1mg | Iron: 0.1mg