Add to Collection
Go to Collections
MEXICAN VERMICELLI SOUP WITH CHICKEN AND VEGETABLES
Mexican Vermicelli Soup with Chicken and Vegetables | It is some of the most humble dishes of our everyday Mexican cuisine but it is one that will show up in so many homes across the country. Like the “Chicken Noodle Soup” in America.
- 3 Cups of cooked shredded chicken or cut in cubes
- 8 cups of chicken stock
- 8 ounces of Vermicelli
- 2 small diced carrots About 1 ¼ cup
- 1 diced zucchini About 1 cup
- 1 diced Chayote about 1 ½ cup
- 1 Small diced potato 6 ½ ounces
- 2 Tomatoes chopped /10 ounces/3cups
- 2 Garlic cloves
- ¼ of an Onion finely diced/2 ounces/About ½ cup
- 2 Tablespoon of olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup of water
- Salt to taste and freshly ground black pepper
- Some finely Chopped Cilantro to garnish or just the springs
- Lemon Wedges for serving
Prepare all your ingredients dicing the vegetables.
Add 1 tablespoon of the oil in your soup pot at medium heat.
Add the Vermicelli and lightly stir fry it. This will take a couple of minutes. Remove and place in a separate plate.
Add the other tablespoon of oil to the pot and add the carrots. Cook for about 2-3 minutes. Add potatoes, onion, chayote and zucchini. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes. While the vegetables are cooking place the tomato and the garlic cloves in the blender with the cup of water and blend until smooth.
Add the tomato-garlic mixture to the pot and stir. Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the Vermicelli and simmer for 3 more minutes. Vermicelli cooks very fast.
Stir in the chicken, the chicken broth, and simmer until the Vermicelli is tender. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve in bowls and garnish with chopped cilantro an a squeeze of lemon juice if desire.
Serving: 1.5cup | Calories: 382kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 453mg | Potassium: 747mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 2905IU | Vitamin C: 16.3mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 2.9mg