Add to Collection
Go to Collections
HOW TO MAKE BEEF TONGUE BARBACOA TACOS RECIPE
If you have never tried Beef tongue Barbacoa, this is the easy way to go. The texture is soft that almost melts in your mouth. The leftovers if any, are great for sandwiches, flautas, scramble with eggs, etc. It also freezes well.
Servings 4 SERVINGS PER POUND
- 1 beef tongue (2-3 pounds)
- ¼ of medium size onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt to taste
- Water enough to cover the beef tongue
- warm corn tortillas
- 1 cup of chopped cilantro
- 1 cup of chopped white onion
- salsa of your choice.
Rinse the beef tongue with water and place in your crockpot, add onion, garlic, bay leaf, salt, and water. Cover and set the crockpot on low for 8 hours. Cook until tender. If after 8 hours the meat is not tender enough to shred cook a little bit longer. Not all Crockpots work alike.
Remove the Beef tongue from the crock pot and place in a large dish, remove skin using a knife to make a cut at first and discard. Trim off any fatty tissue at the bottom end. As you can see from the pictures above it is mostly meat.
Shred the meat using 2 forks and place in a serving bowl with some of the cooking broth that has already been degrease and strained.
- When buying the meat make sure it is coming from a trusted source. Since not a lot people buy this type of cut very often, chances are you will find it frozen. I am lucky to have a Grass Fed source and the quality can’t compare to the one found at regular supermarkets from my personal experience. Beef tongue is still very affordable; buy it in a place that you trust for their quality.
- Cooking time using an INSTANT POT, prepare as directed and cook for 45 minutes in the pressure setting.
- For the Stove Top pressure cooker, cook for 1 hour.
Serving: 4OZ | Calories: 243kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 69mg | Sodium: 59mg | Potassium: 325mg | Vitamin A: 15IU | Vitamin C: 1.5mg | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 2mg