Add to Collection
Go to Collections
QUESO FUNDIDO WITH CHORIZO RECIPE
There is a recipe where the cheese is melted directly on a griddle and then scooped onto a plate, another where it’s baked in the oven or placed under the broiler. You can also make it in a small skillet right on top of the stove or on the grill where you make your steaks.
Servings 6 servings as an appetizer.
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 ounces Mexican Chorizo casings removed.
- 12 ounces Monterey or Oaxaca Cheese grated (2 1/2 cups)
- 6 Flour tortillas or
- 12 ounces tortilla chips for serving
- 1 1/2 cup of Roasted Salsa
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place a skillet over medium heat, add the oil if using. Most Mexican chorizos have enough fat and won’t need the vegetable oil. Add the chorizo and cook, stir frequently to cook evenly and avoid it from sticking to the bottom. It’ll take about 6-7 minutes to cook.
Once cooked, remove the excess fat from the skillet or place the cooked chorizo over a paper towel to absorb the fat.
Place the chorizo in an oven proof dish, setting aside 2 tablespoons to garnish when ready to serve. I divided the chorizo and cheese into 2 small clay pots, but you can use a large oven proof dish.
Place the grated cheese over the chorizo and bake for about 10-12 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Do not overcook or it will have a chewy texture.
Remove form oven and place over a heat proof surface. Serve warm with salsa and plenty of flour tortillas or tortilla chips.
• You can use Spanish chorizo if Mexican Chorizo is not available.
• As mentioned above, you can make the Queso Fundido over the stove, grill or even using the microwave and stir frequently.
Calories: 339kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 71mg | Sodium: 596mg | Potassium: 140mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 435IU | Calcium: 425mg | Iron: 0.8mg